- Wexford County Michigan Deeds Liber 16 Page 553
- The “Other” Burdick Family
- The H.R. Burdick Deeds in Section 10, Colfax Township
- Wexford County Michigan Deeds Liber 69 page 437
- Abbott Land Records, Wexford County, Michigan Liber 3 page 163
- Abbott Land Records, Wexford County, Michigan Liber 3 page 209
- Abbott Land Records, Wexford County, Michigan Liber 6 page 430
- Abbott Land Records, Wexford County, Michigan Liber 4 page 139
- Abbott Land Records, Wexford County, Michigan Liber 8 page 377
I am posting information gleaned from land records in the areas where our family’s ancestors resided. You can read more about this project in the overview. You may also check my deed record listing, which I will update frequently, but probably not every day. This group pertain to early residents of Wexford County, Michigan with the surname Abbott. Papa’s second great-grandmother was Mary Jane Abbott; I have undertaken a study of the early Abbott deeds to look for connections to her and her family. I know that her brother Erastmus D. [E.D.] Abbott was in Wexford County, but have not connected any others to her at this time.
|Date:||15 June 1877|
|Grantee:||William D. Abbott|
|Type of deed:||US Land Patent|
|Rec’d and recording:||22 Sept 1877|
|Location of land:||Colfax, Wexford, MI|
|Consideration:||Application 4786 Certificate 2822|
|Description:||NE 1/4 Sect 22 T23N R10W|
This deed was of interest to me as I sort out the men with the surname Abbott who were residents of Wexford County. Our ancestors did not live in a vacuum, and it is possible that some of these men had some relationship to Mary Jane Abbott, wife of George W. Burdick. This land is once again in Colfax Township, Wexford County, and close to where Papa’s ancestors lived. However, we do not know anything about William D. Abbott. The yellow outlined parcel, marked on a part of the old 1889 atlas1, is the one which is described under this deed. The blue outlined area surrounds the location where Papa’s Fenton and Fellows ancestors owned land. The green outline is from the “other” Burdick family, so far we have proven no relationship between our family and them. The red outline surrounds the land patented by John Abbott, another mystery Abbott in Wexford County. Perhaps John and William are related to each other, if not to members of our family.
- E.L. Hayes & Co., Atlas of Wexford County, Michigan / compiled by Eli L. Hayes from government surveys, county and township records, and personal investigations and observations , Eli L. Hayes, (Chicago, Ill.: E.L. Hayes & Co., 1889), page 29; digital images, The University of Michigan. Michigan County Histories and Atlases. http://name.umdl.umich.edu/3928170.0001.001 : accessed 28 April 2010.