- Wexford County Michigan Deeds Liber 16 Page 553
- The “Other” Burdick Family
- The H.R. Burdick Deeds in Section 10, Colfax Township
- Wexford County Michigan Deeds Liber 69 page 437
- Abbott Land Records, Wexford County, Michigan Liber 3 page 163
- Abbott Land Records, Wexford County, Michigan Liber 3 page 209
- Abbott Land Records, Wexford County, Michigan Liber 6 page 430
- Abbott Land Records, Wexford County, Michigan Liber 4 page 139
- Abbott Land Records, Wexford County, Michigan Liber 8 page 377
I am posting information gleaned from land records in the areas where our family’s ancestors resided. You can read more about this project in the overview. You may also check my deed record listing, which I will update frequently, but probably not every day. This group pertain to early residents of Wexford County, Michigan with the surname Abbott. Papa’s second great-grandmother was Mary Jane Abbott; I have undertaken a study of the early Abbott deeds to look for connections to her and her family. I know that her brother Erastmus D. [E.D.] Abbott was in Wexford County, but have not connected any others to her at this time. On a recent trip to Wexford County, I was able to survey the earliest two deed index books for the county, which resulted in eight deeds with surname Abbott.
|Date:||9 July 1875|
|Location:||Traverse City, MI|
|Type of deed:||US Land Grant|
|Rec’d and recording:||22 Jul 1875 9 a.m.|
|Location of land:||Clam Lake Twp., Wexford County, MI|
|Consideration:||application 4318, receipt 2208|
|Description:||E 1/2 of the SW 1/4 and the W 1/2 of the SE 1/4 all in Section 36 T21N R9W|
This land grant not near from the Manton area where Mary Jane Abbott and husband George W. Burdick resided, to illustrate. The townships in Wexford County, Michigan are arranged like this:
Only time will tell if Ezra Abbott has any relationship to our family. Here is the location of the land purchased by Ezra Abbott in 1875, illustrated on a small portion of the old 1889 Wexford County Atlas1, located in the extreme southeastern portion of Wexford County. In 1889 both portions of the land were owned by one individual.
- E.L. Hayes & Co., Atlas of Wexford County, Michigan / compiled by Eli L. Hayes from government surveys, county and township records, and personal investigations and observations , Eli L. Hayes, (Chicago, Ill.: E.L. Hayes & Co., 1889), page 15; digital images, The University of Michigan. Michigan County Histories and Atlases. http://name.umdl.umich.edu/3928170.0001.001 : accessed 2 November 2009.