Remember the box, and the resolution to enter all the data into my genealogy database? On June 6th, I checked how I was doing, and found that I had fallen miserably short on the data entry end of things.
When I assessed my progress on August 2th, I was feeling a little better about the progress I had made.
Today, my pile looks like this:
Right, it is GONE. Sorry to yell, but this is a big deal to me. I finished entering all the data from my pile. Nothing left but dust. I was about to declare myself a big winner, and have a drink:
But, then I realized that the filing is not complete:
I think I can do the filing in one day, and I have chosen tomorrow to do that.
I won’t be celebrating for too long, I have a ways to go before I can really declare myself a winner. The next problem is the data entry from the files on my computer. I just looked at the computer folder which contains results from numerous trips. I have been to courthouses, libraries, cemeteries, even Salt Lake City, and my results are stored neatly in folders with the date and the place I visited. There are notes, transcriptions, and pictures. The pictures are of deeds, of graveyards, and of pages in books, and there are photos of microfilm boxes showing the number of the film, and of microfilm screens, showing data about some person of interest.
The fact that it is all neatly organized into folders is some consolation, but not a lot. The parent folder is massive: 4.63 Gb, 79 sub-folders, 4984 files. I’m not sure how long it will take me look at, evaluate, transcribe (if necessary) and enter the data I have collected in those 79 folders. I also have some hand written notes that go with some of the files:
The top of the report looks like this:
Darn. Well, I’m having a drink anyway. Then, after the filing is complete, I will tackle my pile of notes and start the process. Maybe next week.